Saturday 10 September 2016

CCC 2016 - 101km - 20,000ft ascent



Tourists in Chamonix
The finish and Mont Blanc

Pre Race


Training
Training went pretty well for this race which seems to be rare occurrence this year! I took two full weeks off, then had two build up weeks before four excellent weeks! This was to get most from the short training and still have a taper so I wasn't too overcooked by race day.
The training log is in my last blog post here.


Holiday
We flew out to Chamonix on Monday morning. In future we'll be looking to fly out on Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning because the nervous energy was becoming too much for me being around the buzz in town 24/7.

Race Expo

Our hotel was a 3 star overpriced dive so best not to get too into that on here!
Monday we just explored the area, went to the race expo and bought some goodies. I even changed up my race kit by getting some white compression calf sleeves, and a cap I could dip and soak in water throughout the race because my trucker hat isn’t great for holding water.
Tuesday we took the cable car up to Le Brevent at 2525m to relax, get used to the altitude and eat our favourite food of the holiday – ICE CREAM!!!! Vicky was scared of the cable car because she’s not great with heights and the thing shook so much on the way up.
I did a little run down to get the legs moving but nothing hard, just seeing how the heat was and how I dealt with the altitude - Was fine with the altitude but couldn't get used to the heat out there.

Looking down at Chamonix

Selfie at the top
Beautiful trails


Due to the ever increasing temperature an email was sent out by organisation to carry extra water for the race. This was a good idea, so I stashed an extra 500ml bottle in my pack but never ended up needing it throughout the entire race.
Race registration was pretty easy actually, I think the key point is getting there bang on opening for the race you are doing. We stood in the queue for about 20 minutes before my passport was checked and a checklist was given to me to produce some random items on the list.
At kit check you pick up your bib, get a wristband on, and get a bag with discount codes and the race T shirt – Which is fantastic quality!!

Kit checklist
Registration

After a horrendous sleepless night (of many) in our hotel the night before the race we were both pretty tired on race morning. - Just to point out a huge thanks to the elephant stomping morons upstairs who continued to cause this same issue every night.

Race Kit

Best idea ever!

I booked us both on a pretty late bus to get to the race start, the bus departed at 7.15am but it was just a walk on with no queues, great organisation! The bus went through the Mont Blanc tunnel and took around 45 minutes, after the bus I queued for the toilets at the drop off point to waste some time before the start so I wasn't nervously standing around for ages.

Journey to the start through the tunnel


When we finally got into the little town of Courmayeur, I scouted out some more toilets with a big queue, and decided it would be best to get in this queue to pass some time and get there before the start. This worked pretty well and it was fun to tell people to join the queue instead of trying to push in right in front of us. There was only THREE portoloos for the 2000 runners, sheesh!
Nervously waiting for the start

After the toilet I climbed the barrier and stood on the road, crammed in like sardines! I could see Alan over the other side of the road and Lynn on the pavement, I was with Vicky at our side and after a while they came over to join us.

Lets do this!

First wave set off at 9.00am to the spine chilling epic music – goosebumps!

It seemed like forever until the second wave set off (my wave), and I don’t think I’ve ever been this nervous for a race, I wasn’t nervous about the distance, or the climbing, or the time it would take. I was starting to panic about all the "What if I don’t finish this race", "What would everyone think"! I got myself really worked up at the start and probably didn’t enjoy the first few KM through town as much as I should have because of this. :(

Me and Alan at the start - Photo by Lynn Ritchie

The Race


Italy

The race started for me at 9.17am during the second wave of runners. I set off with Alan through the super packed crowds, hearing the sound of a hundred cowbells! They sure love their cowbells over there haha. The race started to climb almost immediately and it was hard not to get sucked into a running pace here, knowing it would be best to relax into a stern walk and maintain that to save energy for later on.
Climbing up the switchbacks

A nice relaxed pace
I was chatting to Alan on the way up, we had a few speedy people eager to pass at really silly places, almost rolling their ankles running off into the shrubs just to gain a place early on. The crowds were nowhere near as bad as expected here, no real traffic jams and no time did we stop for over a minute or so during the first hour. The crowd wasn’t too bad! There was a few idiots who swung their poles back in towards your face, but stopped it when you just tapped their poles with yours.

During the first climb
The climb up to Tete de la Tronche was brutal and took the best part of 3 hours!! As soon as the route came out of the forest above Courmayeur the heat started taking its toll, it was absolutely roasting! Pretty much the story of the day from here on out.
Into the sun now

Because this was the first climb it was best to just keep a steady pace and not push too hard. Once at the top the marshals were giving out water in limited supply. Without wanting to take the piss, I just asked for them to fill up my wee cup for a mouthful.

From the top you can see the runners far below

"Please sir, I want some more"
At the top I bumped into a friend from Singapore and we took photos of each other on the top.

Next up was a nice 600m descent to Refuge Bertone where there was food and drink. This was the hardest descent for me during the race because my legs just felt like jelly. I kept scouting out places along the trail I could sit down and give my legs a rest but there was no shade so I just keep going.
First descent - Those views!!!
At Refuge Bertone I immediately took my shoes off and put Vaseline on the hot spots developing on my feet from some rubbing.

Limited shade in Refuge Bertone
After getting some TUC biscuits, some energy bar slices and a few cups of coke it was time to head out with Alan.

I fell in a damn river trying to fill my bottles, falling onto the poles I thought I’d snapped them but luckily hadn’t! Just got totally soaked, but that soon dried off in the heat.
The 'river' I fell into :P

 Pretty flat undulating section now to the next feed station Refuge Bonatti (still in Italy) – Is where I sampled the noodle broth: yummy!
And by God the views at this checkpoint were amazing!

The view from Refuge Bonatti - 22km

The noodle broth stuff

Busy checkpoint

The first proper aid station came 27km into it around the time we were crossing into Switzerland at ‘Arnouvaz’. This was a little tent which just circulated the heat! Again it was time for some noodle broth, coke and some biscuits.

A small climb to the checkpoint

Arnouvaz heat tent - 27km
Eating was never an issue, the main issue was the heat. My feet were in pretty good condition for now because of all the Vaseline, but I didn’t fancy getting them wet again if I could help it. My choice of clothing was ideal to dip my hat and buff in every single stream and trough we came across.

Switzerland

The highest climb in the race - Runners snaking up it
 Next was the highest point in the race: Grand Col Ferret at 2537m and 31km into the race! This climb wasn’t as long as the first one because the route was already pretty high up. I got into a pace with Alan as we started to climb this behemoth in the sun. The cruel thing about the climb was you could see the top of it and it looked soooooooooooooooooooo far away all the time. I did sit down twice I think during this climb haha, the highlight was a trough near the top to refill the waters and cool down. Alan caught upto me filling my water bottles and we ascended to the top together.

Sweating it out

At the top we sat for a few minutes eating some food and posing for photos :P

The highest point in the race
The descent from here was incredibly long but good fun! Halfway down there was a mini checkpoint with guys handing out water, there was also a hose to cool down in which was lovely!


La Peule - Mini checkpoint

Pretty views

Another long descent before a major timing point and aid station was La Fouly (42km). This checkpoint was great and the crowd support here was excellent, everyone was cheering the runners in. The food and drink was fantastic and I found a new love: Oranges! I must have fired through about 3 full oranges, they were really refreshing and great to quench the thirst.
Refilled the water, took some food, put plasters on my feet and then lost Alan. I waited around a while, used the womens bathroom because I think the guy had died in the males? Then I shot off trying and catch Alan on the final part of the descent before the stiff climb to Champex Lac.

Coming into our first checkpoint in Switzerland - La Fouly - 42km
I caught Alan on the descent and we climbed into Champex Lac together, it was dusk now and the villages in Switzerland were truly stunning! The support in these villages was fantastic too seeing the whole family out offering drinks to runners.


Sunset



Beautiful little Swiss village

Champex Lac was bloody huge! This is the first point where I met Vicky along the route, who acted as a support for a few of the Scottish runners who came through (Gavin, Alan and myself) along with her new friend Lynne who was supporting her husband Lachlan.

Vicky got us sorted, got the food and drink for me, had us eating food and taking in liquids. I changed my socks here because my feet were still rubbing on the outside and maybe the Vaseline had wore off.
Inside the aid station
Eating and sorting out the feet
The next section I knew was going to be tough, it was 17km with a huge climb and descent until I would get more food, drink, see Vicky again. Also it was going to be the first section in the dark and seen as we got to Champex Lac around dinner time I ate way too much!!! - Two small bowls of pasta bolognese and some soup, along with a few bites of other stuff.
I think I was just worried about the time it would take for this 17km and wanted to make sure I had enough calories in me to continue comfortably.


Leaving Champex Lac
This section was my low point during the race.

Running just made the food slosh around in my stomach so I never ate anything for about 4 hours until Trient. It dark when we left Champex Lac so we had to put on the headtorches (sorry no more photos).  It was frustrating not being able to run when leaving the town on normal terrain but could feel the food coming back up when I did.

The climb here was very memorable! No views at all, climbing through a dense forest along hundreds of switchbacks, and the top was the little water stop with a bonfire where we sat for a few minutes having a break before a nice descent into Trient - 72km.


Think this was Trient

Trient was a bomb site, there was actually 2 ways to go into the aid station: turn left and head into the ‘Abandonment’ door or carry on into the Checkpoint. Once again, I ate some pasta here, got some coke, refilled my bottles and then off again into the night climbing another big one. Vicky was again a great help in Trient seeing we were okay and making sure we got food and drink.
11km section over the 2nd to last mountain now.

The climb up Catogne was long, hard work, dark and uneventful at the top. I think this was the climb with the little cattle grid thing you crossed then you started the descent. I remember this climb being one of endless switchbacks, going up I was constantly looking for rocks to sit on and when you found an ideal rock it was already occupied – arghh!!! When we eventually found one there was big daddy long legs running around the place ew. Alan sat with me for a while and we chatted with headtorches off in total darkness.

France
Now back in France and heading to the final proper checkpoint it was still dark and I was starting to get all panicked about not making 26 hours – My goal.

I mentioned this to Alan a few times and I think he was fine with us making 26 hours but I wasn’t having it, I got all flustered thinking about how big the final climb was and how the descent would be a killer into Chamonix. Vicky met us again here in Vallorcine (the checkpoint had a bar and everything)! I sat and ate food, Alan was looking pretty tired and I was all panicky so we must have looked a right state.

We left the checkpoint and headed for what seemed ages to a light I thought was a timing point (it wasn’t), Alan had music playing and I kept walking at a quick pace without stopping, sorry Alan but I was determined at this point. I was no longer feeling fatigued now, I had a fair bit of energy and best put it to some use now.
The final climb wasn’t actually too bad! I got right behind a French man (Romain) and had a Spaniard behind me, all 3 of us climbed up Tete aux vents like a little conga, passing loads of people. We didn’t stop once I was pretty tired near the top and the rocks looked so inviting to sit on but no!!! It was best for me to keep the legs moving during this second wind.

Near the top - Starting to get light again

We had discussed how good it would feel once we hit the top and once we got there we all high fived and congratulated each other on a tough ascent! I had also packed my poles away ready for a descent where they were to follow me down, I ran on for about 2 minutes and naw, it kept going up!! What the hell?? Then again and again, Gavin was right about the false summits here. Man it was hard work! I felt like an idiot with my poles away but had to keep them away because I was embarrassed runners would laugh at my misfortune thinking I was at the top.

Final climb done!

At the top I got scanned by the marshals and ran down at quite a good pace. I could see the final checkpoint in the distance and kept up a good pace overtaking people as safely as possible and trying not to get stabbed with poles this late on in the race.

Chairlifts near La Flegere - 93km

Approaching the checkpoint I was overcome with emotion, all the thoughts about the race came flooding back, including Vickys support, the messages of encouragement and I kept picturing the finish – So close!

I ran through the checkpoint just stopping for a sip of coke to wash down my gel.
The final 8km came in pretty quick! I text Vicky to let her know I’d be done within 50 minutes :-)
The initial downhill was so damn steep then it went onto a big jeep road for a while where you could just go all out.
Woooooooooooooo

There was this little river crossing bit and in front of me and two guys were slowly trying to tiptoe across the stones and I was like “fuuuukkkk sakeeeeee”, and just ran straight through it, nearly home now so it didn’t matter about getting the feet wet haha.

I said 'Well done' and 'Bravo' to so many runners who looked to be struggling on this final descent and most of them just kind of ignored it which was weird so I just took a gel and continued to push hard.

Chamonix was NOT getting any closer, I ran so hard on this descent it was a huge relief to finally hit the outskirts of the town and high five people. Running along the river was magical, knowing it was nearly over!

I saw a few Scottish flags in the distance and went charging over to them to see Vicky and a few of the Scottish folk there, I took the flag from John (thank you) and started running with it overhead to the finish around the final bend. Crossing the finish was kind of surreal, I’ve imagined this so much over the past year and couldn’t believe it was now done!

Final straight - Photo by Helen Munro

Done!

Loads of the Scottish guys were there to greet me with Vicky which was nice to see so many people out so early. My final time was 22:57:00 so ended up making it under 26 hours and surprisingly under 23 which I didn’t think would happen 10 minutes before that!!

After the finish I picked up the gilet, chatted to Vicky then went to see Alan come in which was a great moment too!

Spent

Time to see the feet

Got some nice ice cream then headed back for a shower. After a little rest we headed back out to see the UTMB finishers in, before spending our final evening at our friends parents Chalet in Passey (the next town).

Recovery food - Thanks to Gavin for the suggestion

Breakfast the next day

Swimming in the lake with my friends parents & Vicky

Thoughts
I said to a few people initially that I would never put in for the UTMB, there was something about how tough the 60 mile route was, I had no desire to tack on another 40 miles on top of that and do it all in 46 hours....

But something about seeing the FINAL UTMB finishers it really hit home, it was so emotional seeing them come into the finish before the cut off, after the thunder and lightning the night before.

In 2017 I am hoping to put in for UTMB – If I don’t get in that is totally fine and will try again in 2018 :-)
Already have some plans lined up for 2017 so it would suit if UTMB didn’t get drawn for me, but I will do the UTMB one day if not next year!!

The race atmosphere was excellent, the organisation was excellent, the food and drink were top notch, the villages and surrounding areas were stunning, Chamonix is very overpriced, the mountains are spectacular and made up for everything!

My kit:
Black Diamond Z poles – Life saver on the climbs, but couldn’t use them for descending because it was too cumbersome and slower for me.

Ultimate Direction Anton Pack 3.0 – Pretty good but not without its flaws. The stitching has come loose on the side zip pocket so only really useful for things like nutrition now. The pole holder ripped but luckily I had a bobble to keep them in place.

Nike shorts – Fantastic and light

Hogwarts Running Club T shirt - Gotta have some fun, it's not all serious business!

Compressport White calf sleeves – Great for reflecting the sun, protecting my legs from getting burnt.

Injinji socks/ Inov8 socks – Fantastic but did change halfway through due to rubbing.

Inov8 Race Ultra 290 – My go to shoe.

Dynafit ‘React’ Cap & Buff combo – Breathable, lightweight and great for dipping in streams to cool down.

Quest Bars – Best nutrition ever and delicious flavours that kept me happy all the time when I wasn’t in checkpoints.

Gu gels - Lovely near the end of the race - ROOT BEER!

Petzl Nao – Great headtorch lasted the full night on the medium reflective setting, and still had two thirds of a charge left after the race.

Thank you for reading this!

Final night relaxing on our friends balcony looking towards Mont Blanc

6 comments:

  1. Great write up and a great run! So pleased for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda, apologises I forgot I can reply on this. Was nice seeing you guys over there, maybe next year again :D

      Delete
  2. Great read, Ian. What a race. I know you've told me most of this in person, but great to read it from start to finish!
    You should be proud of yourself. I know I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic achievement, well done, and well written, I could feel your emotion at the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona, apologises I forgot I can reply on this! Not very well written but getting there lol, enjoy reading your blog as inspiration!

      Delete